What is Erasmus+ ?
The Erasmus+ programme today is designed to foster a skilled and dynamic work force within the European Union. It allows students in vocational education and training to undertake temporary transnational training/work placements over a 3 week period, gaining an understanding of different cultures, languages and work practices.
It allows organisations to work with European partners, in order to exchange practices and increase expertise of students whilst abroad. Essentially it is a European Funded programme that allows students in further education to travel to and work in a European country in order to improve and develop individual’s personal, social and professional skills.
The demand for Erasmus+ projects has increased in Moate Business College over the last few years with students benefiting from placements in Romania, Spain and Lithuania.
Some Important things to know about the Erasmus+ Project in Moate Business College:
- Three weeks in a European country
- Flights, accommodation and insurance are funded under the project
- Accommodation is a mixture of host families and hotels
- Organised Work Placements
- Back-up support from college and host countries
- Preparatory language and cultural lessons in MBC before you travel
Benefits of Partaking in the Mobility Experience at Moate Business College:
- Relevant Work Placements
- Work Placements can be used as part of the QQI Work Experience module
- Living in a European Country for three weeks
- Personal and professional development
- Meeting new people and developing cultural awareness
- Sight-seeing in a new country
- European Funding
- Europass Certification
A Student’s Experience
Tetiana Bulkah, a Level 6 Tourism student in Moate Business College perfectly sums up her Erasmus+ experience when she says “I was extremely happy to take part in the Moate Business College Erasmus+ project and really appreciated the opportunity to visit Italy and find out more about Italian people, their lifestyle, traditions, everyday life, interests, modern trends and problems.
It was a very interesting experience during which I could exchange ideas and opinions with Italian students. I feel that it is only the beginning of my Italian adventure. I discovered this country and would love to go back. Thank you Erasmus+”
Bernadette Ryan sums up her experience of visiting Pinerolo, Italy as part of the Erasmus+ programme “I am a mature student seeking new skills after raising a family. I am attending Moate Business College in the town of Moate, Co.Westmeath, Ireland. I was very privileged to be chosen to represent the college on Europass to Buniva Art College, Pinerolo, Italy in February 2016.
I had a wonderful time on my trip to Italy. It was a great opportunity to experience being part of the Pinerolo community for three weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed walking to and from Buniva Art College as the locals were going and coming from work. The Old Town came alive in the evening with people out having coffee, shopping and chatting in the piazzas. I felt part of the community rather than a tourist. Buniva School was amazing. The art work of the staff and students was excellent. The staff was very helpful and gave me great tuition and assistance. I did some drawing, watercolours, acrylic painting and sculpture. The students were very friendly and keen to practice their English.
- I visited beautiful Turin, where they were celebrating the 10th anniversary of The Winter Olympics. I visited the church where the Shroud of Turin is displayed.
- I visited Milan during Milan Fashion Week.
- I went to the ski resort town of Sestriere in the Alps where they had the 2006 Winter Olympics.
- I visited numerous churches, buildings and museums, full of beautiful architecture and paintings.
This was amazing experience that allowed me to immerse myself in the life of a different community I would not otherwise have known. I would highly recommend anyone who is offered an opportunity by Europass to grasp it with both hands.”